Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Resuming an old project in process

 Hello, everyone.

When I say old, I mean REALLY old. Some of these squares were raw-edged appliquéd by DH's grandmother before she passed some decades ago. The work was taken up by her daughter, his mom, and then later the box of squares was sent to me to assemble the quilt.

The large butterflies were hand basted into place and then their edges were done with black blanket stitch. They each have little French-knot eyes at the base of their antennae. So cute!

DH had made a wooden quilting frame for quilting it, but our stage in life was not right to do a major hand quilting project--for one thing, I had never even tried it before--and the quilt was put away. Now it has come out, and will be finished with machine quilting.



The back piece was taped to the floor tiles to hold it smooth for pinning. Blue painter's tape is my friend!

Today this will be moved from the floor to the dining room table and the sewing machine set up to do the quilting. I will try to continue motifs that were done by hand years ago, but will be doing a lot of straight lines inside the blocks probably.

I had a good pile of basting safety pins, but had to buy more to get this pinning done. There is no such thing as too many basting pins!



No comments:

Post a Comment