Saturday, July 3, 2021

Larks' Heads for the win

 Hello, everyone.

What are larks' heads? you ask. Well, if you didn't spend formative years in Scouting, you may not know them by this name. Or may not know them at all. The knot is used in weaving and other things, with various names.


This is the table runner/wall hanging from the Sweet Pea shop. It's a machine-embroidered appliqué project. I didn't want to restrict it to lying flat on the table, and I wasn't in love with the stack of three pairs their pattern showed. Others of their table runners roll out in a line and I thought this would actually be better as a line than a double stack. So that's what got done.

But where and how to hang it?

The back side of the hanging. I used the ribbon and drapery hooks method from the zipper holder project a while back in Sewing Club. 

Then I went to hang the banner and discovered that the (vanity-style) rod in the dining room is too fat for the drapery hooks. 

I have previously used ribbons to hang things from the rod, and it occurred to me that it would be perfect for this. And, not wanting to spend forever tying little knots at both ends of ribbons, with attendant uneven lengths, I decided to go for the humble, but classic, lark's head. It's a simple loop, with one end pulled through the other around the rod, and then the drapery hook hangs from the loose end.


Not only was this much simpler than other methods, by cutting all of the ribbons at the same time and making sure the loops matched it was easy to get it to hang straight.

Happy Independence Day to all of my fellow Americans!


No comments:

Post a Comment