Saturday, September 24, 2022

She's ready!

 Hello, everyone. 


Yesterday I put a light coat of shellac on her to seal the bare bits where un climate controlled storage had damaged the finish on her wood. After it dried, I went over it gently with 4-ought steel wool to degliss the surface a little. Then wiped the shellac dust off with a microfiber rag.

Today I got out the Howard Restor a Finish, which is apparently a penetrating oil, applied that, let it rest a few minutes, then wiped the excess off. Let it all dry for a little while. 

Then got out the Howard Feed n Wax, which says it's orange oil and beeswax, smoothed that on, not only the shellaced places, but also exteriors of drawers, drawer rails, and so on. I didn't mess with the surfaces that had been protected by the machine being in her cabinet over time.

Put in a new needle, put on the new belt, the only things lacking are filling a bobbin and learning to operate the treadle system.




The front view of the machine I am calling Isabel, with a spool of Aurifil thread waiting to load the bobbin.

I'm so excited! 



No comments:

Post a Comment