Saturday, May 7, 2022

Wildflowers this spring

 Hello, everyone.  

This spring,  between the planted flowers,  the flowers that came up and were moved, and the flowers that just appeared,  we're really enjoying the view in the yard.

The first picture is a cactus pot we have had for years. Now that it's blooming,  every time I stop to look at it,  the little leaf bee pops up from deliriously rolling around in the pollen. I think she's afraid something will happen to the wonderful heaps of baby-bee food.


This cactus is sensitive to rot, so I have never taken it out of the pot it's been happy in all of these years. 

This next photo is a tiny thing that pops up in the grass every spring. I think the blossom is only about 1/4" across. 


I have no idea what it's name is. It's just simply pretty.


This flower, which is a little bluer than the photo comes out, is amazingly popular with the Monarch types of butterflies. It's a native, but it does need to be watered in my yard. I have it growing in a large pot and it's very happy there.

Yesterday for the first time I saw it being visited by a monarch variety butterfly.  

We're trying to be hospitable to the native pollinators, not only because they're pretty but also when food plants in the yard bloom, we hope the pollinators will find them and pollinate the blooms. Especially on the avocado tree!





No comments:

Post a Comment