Wednesday, May 19, 2021

A little travel accessory

 Hello, everyone.

Taking a break from road trip notes, because it looks like I need to track down more pictures.

There was a short rest at home before running up to Houston for a family event. A chance to relax by doing a little embroidery project! I was looking at the Hatch free embroidery designs, which like a number of other free assortments help me to learn new techniques for my embroidery machine.

This was the result:


The patchwork design is one of the Hatch freebies. It's a sample design from LindyG, a bit of Victorian style "crazy quilting." There was an open spot for a monogram, I put a flower there. It came out a little too big, next time I try this I will think ahead and pick something else.

The original was for a notebook cover, very pretty, but I don't have much use for them. I used it on a lingerie bag for travel instead. Call this a trial run for Christmas giving!

It's important to think about balance when choosing the applique fabrics and placing them. The method is in-the-hoop applique, like many of the blocks in the Kimberbell Jingle All The Way quilt that I attended a Block of the Month class to make. (Actually, the JATW quilt isn't quite finished yet. The top is done, except for the decorations that go on at the end, but it needs to be quilted and bound.)

Printing out an extra copy of the template is recommended, so you have an example of how they will go together even after you cut out pieces of paper to label your fabric chunks with. This is a good pattern for non-busy scraps.

I used a poly duck fabric and backed the embroidery with Polymesh for stability. (Removed the extra Polymesh at the end.) There is a lining as well, some quilting cotton, to cover the stitches.

Zipper was from stash, as well as the various colored bits of quilting fabric for the applique and the threads.





No comments:

Post a Comment