Tuesday, May 19, 2020

A new project: embroidering onto a knit pocket

Hello, everyone.

There is always something to do around the house if you have a sewing machine. Even more so if you also have an embroidery machine.

DH had requested new sleepwear. As his preferred type isn't in the stores these days, that means sewing.

I found some rayon spandex knit on Fabric.com ( both navy and red solids) and decided that as long as I have these cool gadgets to work with, the chest pocket needed decorating.  I consulted DP, who organizes our sewing club and has much experience with machine embroidery, and also looked at the internet. Found a cute animal--DH likes it--and got to work.


I used wash-and-tear stabilizer on the bottom of the sandwich. Ironed on knit Pro-Sheer Elegance with the grain crossed from the knit grain--this is the part that will remain in the finished garment. Topped with Sulky Solvy, a non-adhesive sheer soluble that I like a lot, to keep the stitches lying nicely on the surface of the knit.

Yes, that is painters' tape holding the Sulky Solvy still on top! It's actually less tacky than my white sewing tape is.

This was the test sew-out of the bull. I mixed up the colors a little, used variegated charcoal where the dark brown is supposed to be, but it came out okay anyway I think.

The little bovine fits into the small 5x5 hoop of my machine, and fits perfectly onto the pocket piece.

Now if I can only find a use for the test project!


No comments:

Post a Comment