Sunday, November 20, 2016

Mustard plants in the garden

Hello, everyone.

There is a fall garden growing here, and it needs thinning regularly. I have loads of mustard leaves waiting in my refrigerator now.

I pulled them by the roots, along with arugula and assorted other edible greens that are too close together. Washed them once in the hose outside to get most of the sand off. Washed them again in a bowl to get the rest of the sand off. Soaked them in salt solution to get caterpillars off and crisp up the leaves. And stuck them in a container in the fridge.

Some turned into salad.

Some turned into this:
Egg with wilted greens and Cholula sauce



In a heated skillet, I put butter and some garlic. (Best is to use the chopped garlic from the jar. Slightly faster but not as good is to use garlic powder from a shaker.) The garlic begins to turn color a little bit, and I pile up the green leaves in the skillet. Getting them all the way up to the top was fine--there is a lot of water that comes out and they shrink a lot. After a little bit, I turn them over with the spatula, move it around, cut it up a little--y'all know the drill. When the leaves are fully wilted, I put them onto the plate with whatever butter pours out with them. More butter goes into the skillet to melt. When it's melted, the egg goes in to be fried. I'm aiming for "over medium" here, where the yolk is liquid and the white is firm. When done, that goes on top of the greens and some Cholula pepper sauce goes on top with salt and pepper. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment