At the monthly meeting of Sewing Club (so called here) we learned about machine applique--one of the members had requested it--and carried nascent projects home to complete.
In the process, I learned more about my older sewing machine, a computerized Kenmore that is actually made by Janome. There was a sampler of stitches made:
|View of the front of the stitch sampler, with the stitch numbers written by the rows|
|The reverse side, with both sets of sample stitches showing.|
They did still pull through a bit--even though the thread tension on the top thread was loosened.
I settled on the "star" or "snowflake" stitch for most of the work, and one of the "buttonhole" stitches for the part of it that just wouldn't work out well with the stars.
|The top side, stars around the ironed-on heart. Note the basting stitches holding the two layers of stabilizer to the underside.|
|This is how the stars came out on the underside.|
The actual project, for which I shopped the stash, is a pillowcase. I used quilting cottons. The red in the picture above is a Kona cotton solid. The heart is one of the many, many fabrics in the printed cottons stash.