Saturday, September 17, 2016

Stash busting: blue top

Hello, everyone.

Going through stash to use up, I found a leftover blue matelasse piece. There was just enough to use with the same pattern as the blue and yellow stripe linen, as long as the major elements were pieced. As long as there was piecing anyway, I added zippered pockets in the front.

One of the fronts with the pocket zipper in place

I hand basted the pocket zippers before sewing them in. Also hand basted the pocket bags to the zipper tapes before sewing them, too.

There were some surprises in this project. The matelasse had less looseness in the fabric. Also, since there was piecing needed to get the top cut out, a pair of pockets were added. The pockets are thin but they are each big enough to hold a pilgrim credencial.  At the end, a gusset was added in the back for ease.

It's amazing the differences that come when the pattern is done again in a different fabric.